Friday, September 12, 2008

Instant Sermon 2008

(I guess I'm following up on the "feminist" theme)

Picture 3 clergywomen
- ages 31, 33 and 38 -
dressed in robe and stole
(green for ordinary time)
standing in the center of a church chancel.

Then imagine a 6-foot-something
retired air force colonel
with a deep voice - sometimes compared to the "voice of God"
(my feminist self has problems with this, but skip it for now) -
posing theological/biblical/spiritual questions for the 3.

This was our "Instant Sermon" this year, since our [male] Sr. Minister was on 4-month sabbatical, I became head-of-staff; our [female] CE Director is ordained; and our interim was another woman. Thus, 3 women clergy under one roof [!].

The questions, as usual, were asked by church members, written on cards the week before, then collected by Deacons. Clergy don't get to read the questions ahead of time. Yikes! I dislike the run-up to the annual event, but I always appreciate having taken part.

A celebratory piece came in our Church Council meeting this past week, when a church member commented, "There isn't another church in town that can even imagine having 3 women ministers who could do something like that!" ....Unfortunately, I don't think there is another church in town with even 2 women ministers (much less 2 of them queer).

:)

No comments: