Thursday, September 25, 2008

With that, the great timber wars of the North Coast came to an end...


What a great line. 
It evokes the image of a long-whiskered grandfather sharing glories of olden days. It conjures memories of Bugs Bunny reading bedtime stories to his nephew Clyde.







But such playful platforms are not where I encountered this 
magnificent ending to such a seemingly fantastic tale. No, it's actually printed in the ink-smeared text of an Associated Press article: Tree-sitters descend from giant redwood. Every time I read it - "With that, the great timber wars of the North Coast came to an end" - I chuckle (*also a delightful word*) ... not the response I'd thought to have at the final descent of individuals (part of an extended network, of course) who've lived their protest for more than 20 years. 





I'd thought I'd have sniffles
I'd thought there'd be tears
Not *chuckles* or wordplay at this ending of years
where protest and demand 
marked love for the trees
made people take notice -
now what will we see?




....
May the Lorax live on, holding 'Grandma' 
(the "massive double redwood joined at the base") in his vision.



1 comment:

jamie said...

is it just too sad to cry?