Saturday, March 21, 2009

Chimayó, NM

Something sacred, something beautiful, something true.

That's what I experienced at el santuario Chimayó last Sunday. I think it was less the "holy dirt", as so many people call it (its healing properties being compared to Lourdes, etc), than it was the people communing there. 

There were tourists, yes (like me) - but they were the type who deeply appreciate the spiritual, whether Roman Catholic or not. Jamie and I participated in Mass, soaking in the ancient ritual and familiar liturgy alongside English, Spanish and Native language speakers.

Sometime soon I hope to share a bit of the experience with my congregation... but for now, it's here for you! If you ever get a chance to visit the area (and eat the tamales at Leona's!), I highly recommend it. 


The entrance to the chapel area (from one direction)



Once you step through the doors of that last photo, this is Chapel


Me in one of the beautiful areas of sacred space around el santuario


No comments: