Friday, July 17, 2009

GAMES! Friday Five

Friday Five: GAMES!

Jan, over at RGBP, writes: In less than three weeks, my family, including children and their partners, will be gathering in Seattle, WA for 12 days. After various days in Seattle sightseeing and in Bellingham seeing family, we will travel to the coast of Washington State to spend three nights in a large rented house. With nine adults (from almost 20 years old and up), I am thinking that we need to have some activities pre-planned--like GAMES! (Any ideas will be appreciated.)

So this Friday Five is about games, so play on ahead. . . .

1. Childhood games?
Family game night! We also played outside a lot: follow the leader (managed to break our younger brother's leg this way), tag (freeze, cartoon, there were others I can't recall), SPUD (I don't even remember how that goes, except someone throws a ball as high in the air as possible then runs away... Did anyone else play this?).
2. Favorite and/or most hated board games?
The 3 I remember always wanting to play, to the annoyance of my brothers, were:
Click to enlarge
Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure, and Preposterous Words: Gathered from Numerous and Diverse Authoritative So by Josefa Heifetz Byrne
  • Encore: because my mom and I would get on opposite teams and try to out-remember each other in song lyrics
  • The Dictionary Game (later I came to realize that this was a real board game, played, not simply with the household dictionary, but called Balderdash: "Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure, and Preposterous Words" was the text we ended up using in my teen years)
  • Trivial Pursuit, Young Players Edition - anyone up for a game? we can play whichever is the latest version we own...
On the other hand, I have generally disliked having to play Monopoly and Risk.
3. Card games?
Rummy with my dad. Slap Jack with my friends (ouch!). Pinochle with the whole family, when we were old enough.
4. Travel/car games?
The Alphabet game (looking for signs); the License Plate game (how many states?); and Silent Contests (whoever stays quiet the longest wins!). Well done, parents.
5. Adult pastimes that are not video games?
Scrabble! Played 3 games of it yesterday. And Apples to Apples - what a GREAT newer game. Or are we moving beyond games, now?
Bonus: Any ideas for family vacations or gatherings?
  • Singing along to some favorite songs that bring back good memories.
  • Cooking together (not one of my favorites, but some people really enjoy communal kitchening).
  • Remembering stories - or being asked stories - about holidays past, childhood escapades, etc. I've begun doing this with my parents and brothers, and I learn the most fascinating things.
  • And I DO recommend Apples to Apples for a large family to play - too much fun, and you learn a lot about who you know well.
May you have a wonderful time with your family, Jan!

1 comment:

Molly Vetter said...

I have fond memories of Encore w/ you. And in my memory's version, they're also connected to mysterious liquids hidden in plastic water bottles in a Scripps College dorm room. But perhaps I've melded several distinct events... :) In any case, it was fun.