Friday, May 14, 2010

Hooray for Buckle Shoes!

Can you remember getting new shoes as a child? It happened more often in those days, as our young feet kept growing (mine have remained the same size for some time now – which brings both relief and a twinge of regret).

I clearly remember the sorrow I felt on the day when “buckle shoes” no longer came in the size of my continually growing feet. It may have been heading into Easter, when a new dress and new shoes were imminent, and Mom had to inform me, “big girls don’t wear buckle shoes.” *gasp* (tears ensued).

Well, heading into middle age, I feel thoroughly joyful that I can again feel the giddiness of slipping on a pair of mary janes… in a much better variety of styles and colors than when I was 8! 
Hooray for buckle shoes!!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

gorgeous shoes! i too was delighted when Mary Janes came back into style!

eshams said...

I also share fondness for the buckled shoe! Happy sabbatical, dear friend, and rest your back!

Wendy said...

I'm not much of a girly-girl and totally surprised myself when I absolutely delighted in finding my daughter her first pair of Mary Janes. There's just something about those "buckle shoes."