Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday Five: I Like Myself


[ Over at RGBP SingingOwl says:] Lately I seem to be encountering many people who have a very difficult time finding anything good to say about themselves. They are able to extend grace and forgiveness's to others but find it difficult to extend that same grace to themselves.

With that in mind, let's share some healthy affirmation today! Tell us five things you like about yourself!
~~~

1. I like that I have depth. I know some people don't like to "go there", but that's what I love about living, so I'm pleased to describe myself that way.
2. I like that I love. And I believe in Love. Not just for significant people in my life, but for the world. Yup, cheesy - that's me! (p.s. For those of you with your eyebrows at your hairline in regards to this self-statement, love also means holding accountable, not just rolling over for people.)
3. I like that I try to be me (nope, I am never going to shave my legs, m'dear Jamie). Sometimes being a contradiction is hard in a squeeze-you-into-a-box society, but I can't be anyone else, can I?
4. I like that I like to learn. What fun would life be without constant growth and change and realization?
5. I like that I am strong. I don't like the prickly-protectiveness of my hedgehog spines (ouch! sometimes), but I do like that I try to stand up for myself and others and what I perceive as right.

Whew. It can be hard to make outright statements of what you like about yourself! Vulnerable (my soft hedgehog belly feels exposed). Anyone else want to try?? Let me know if you play :).

4 comments:

Rev. Pink Dragon said...

NOTE TO SELF: It's frustrating when we realize how hard it is to applaud ourselves! I have come to understand humility as acknowledging those places we need to grow *as well as* those where we are blessed and may offer our gifts to others.

altar ego said...

You've got me thinking about the gift of depth. I think "going there" is difficult for many because so few people really seem to appreciate the depth that we choose to share. It's hard enough to feel valued without depth, never mind with it! Great play.

ellbee said...

I like the hedgehog imagery... I am so like that. Spiny and strong on one side, but awfully vulnerable underneath. Thanks for being vulnerable and sharing the good stuff. :)

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Depth. You know, that took a bit of courage to type that one, I think. I hadn't thought of that, but it is one of the things I like about myself, and something I look for in a good friend. Intersting list. This F.F. has me wishing I could meet people...in person.