Monday, August 24, 2009

Writing for Ministry & Personal Fulfillment...

...that was the title of my study leave topic at
Ring Lake Ranch last week. We had the amazing opportunity to study with Kathy Coffey - writer, professor, spiritual teacher.

Our first "assignment" was to write a color poem (ha!). It was a delightful project. Here's how I played with Pink (are you surprised?).

INDELICATE
"Nice iPod," he laughs
as he takes control deejaying.
"It's pink!"

Pink - he thinks - is the bubble-gum-cheeked child
learning to lower her lashes.
Pink is the delicate petal, fair blooms
pulled apart by "he loves me nots".
Pink is the paleness
not-strong-enough-to-be-red.

So he thinks.
But

Pink granite
defines the labyrinth's boundaries--
the maze that upholds a hero's quest.
Pink vocals
demand attention with
"so what, I'm a rock star" confidence.
Pink dragon's breath
spirals with mystical wisdom,
burning hot but not singeing.
Pink freedom--
flirty and fun--
dances from my favorite linen skirt.
Pink
is an exclamation
point!

"Nice iPod," he laughs -- and I laugh with him.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

dude!!! i love your pink poem. i like the "bookends" feel to it, too. Good rhythm. Hope the writing time @ RLR fed your pink soul. :)

jamie said...

wow...this is great. I still feel somewhat uncomfortable with "pink"--probably cause I don't have the lovely linen skirt to go along with it?!? You're great.

Rev. Pink Dragon said...

I lied - it's really pink linen pants that are my favorite... but the skirt flirted better :)