Friday, January 15, 2010

If...

It's later in the day for this Friday Five (offered by Jan over at RGBP), but I simply couldn't pass this one up! After some strenuous sermon-prep this morning, "if" is something I'd like to play with...
1. If you were a color, what would you be?
This week, I think I'd like to be be pink (see bonus)!
2. If you were a flower (or plant), what would you be?
I long to be a sunflower, face smiling toward sun's rays, tall and stretching my stalk to the sky.


3. If you were an animal, what kind would you be?
Having noted that kitties tend to find the best, most sunshiney places to nap then stretch to full length tip-to-tail and curl up again, I have to go with: feline.
4. If you were a shoe, what type would you be?
An old standard birkenstock with back strap (so I can walk quickly, if needed) - so comfy and easy and versatile (skirt, jeans, shorts, sweats). 

5. If you were a typeface, which font would you be?

Filosofia Grand Bold (I’m beautiful and readable and not very stand-behind-the-scenes… yet thoughtful and a bit old-fashioned).
Bonus: Anything connected with metaphors that you'd like to contribute.


INDELICATE
"Nice iPod," he laughs
as he takes control deejaying.
"It's pink!"

Pink - he thinks - is the bubble-gum-cheeked child
learning to lower her lashes.
Pink is the delicate petal, fair blooms
pulled apart by "he loves me nots".
Pink is the paleness
not-strong-enough-to-be-red.

So he thinks.
But

Pink granite
defines the labyrinth's boundaries--
the maze that upholds a hero's quest.
Pink vocals
demand attention with
"so what, I'm a rock star" confidence.
Pink dragon's breath
spirals with mystical wisdom,
burning hot but not singeing.
Pink freedom--
flirty and fun--
dances from my favorite linen skirt.
Pink
is an exclamation
point!

"Nice iPod," he laughs -- and I laugh with him.
(poem reposted from August 09)

3 comments:

Di said...

Lovely, all of it! And I'm right there with you on the sunshine bits.

Terri said...

Yeah, I love it too! Good play.

Laurie Gudim and Rosean Amaral said...

Great poem. My favorite parts are the dragon's breath and the labyrinth.