Friday, October 15, 2010

Connecting

Friday Five: Connecting

RGBP's Jan writes: I am currently reading Bowling Alone by 
Robert D. Putnam, where he explores the changes in community 
in the USA in the 20th Century. He explains how communities, 
people, and especially children function better when they live 
where there is high social capital. Basically, it means that 
"relationships matter."

We all know this because Christianity (and other religions) 
emphasize the Golden RuleAll things whatsoever ye would 
that men should do to you, do ye so to them; for this is the law 
and the prophets. Matthew 7:1

So here are some questions to ponder for this Friday Five about 
connecting with:

1. Self: Who was your hero/heroine when you were about 
ten years old? My ministers have always been heroes to me. 
I'd look up to each of them in a different way (I can't recall who was the 
minister at that particular time). A close second was probably Madonna 
;-P.

2. Family: Who are you most like? Who is most like you?
Yesterday I was leading a Q&A following a presentation, and I heard 
myself use a phrase that'd never before come from my mouth except 
to tease my father for starting every explanation with it: 
"Well, I'll tell ya...". I had to call and tell him of my slip :). Having said 
that, I acknowledge that my mother and I are most alike--my partner 
tells me I sound more and more like her each day. We're also 
*extremely* different!
3. Friends: How do you stay in touch? I wish I were better at staying 
in touch! My m.o. is to not talk for way too long, then get together a 
couple times each year to catch up. Every once in a while we'll email 
or send a letter, but otherwise... :(
4. Neighborhood, community: What are ways you like to be 
involved? Cafés!! I love to to be present in gathering places 
where people meet and connect and move on into their days. 
Especially places where I can become a regular (Norm!) and 
always see new people.

5. Job/church: Do you see a need that will help in developing 
connections? Deep, long-lasting spiritual practices would be a 
great addition. I'd love to help people create community around 
particular styles of prayer, meditation, reading, etc. We do a little bit, 
and the opportunities are growing. Helping people recognize their 
need for these connections--that's my challenge!

Bonus link: Cheers Theme Song

2 comments:

Jan said...

I really liked your pictures that went along with your post. Madonna! Looking back, I admire her, but didn't earlier. Cafes are places I never thought of socializing; glad you do. Our lectio divina group has met for 13 years or so and has been a wonderful community--just an idea.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Ministers...or maybe Madonna. That made me LOL! Thanks for playing, and your #5 answer is wonderful. May you blessed in that effort!!