Friday, July 22, 2011

Overcomers: Friday Five


Mary Magdalene by He Qi (one of my favorite artists!)

RGBP’s Sally writes: Today is the Feast day of St Mary Magdalene, and as I've been pondering her life and the inspiration she is I find in her a wonderful mix of struggle and devotion. She is both the woman who needed a deep healing and the woman who was declared (by many) to be the first amongst the apostles. She inspires me by the way she overcame so much to become so much. When I stop to think about the folk who do inspire me they are almost always overcomers in some way or another.

With that in mind I bring you this Friday Five; List five people who inspire you to dare to step out into becoming more: Bonus question, a song or fictional character that inspires you to move beyond boundaries!


1.    This seems like a generic answer, but it is NOT—my mother. She grew up with 4 brothers in a family that regarded girls as… well, they didn’t regard girls! She married at 19 and never went to college (girls weren’t smart and didn’t go beyond high school—in fact, none of the family went beyond high school). She “followed expectations” until her 3 kids were out of the house, then she became herself! She started acting and continued preaching (as a lay minister around her denomination’s conference). I didn’t respect her enough for any of this while I was growing up, but she deserves every ounce of it. Yay Mom! Her life inspires me to think I can always grow a bit, no matter my age or where I come from.

2.    S--- is one of my church members who has lived with ovarian cancer for 8 years. Lived with it. As in alive. She has been through every treatment and every trial, and now she knows she’s dying because of it… but she continues to live! Inspiration. Breath. Every moment: in anger and sorrow and joy and playfulness: breath.

3.    S---, this time a colleague, a co-worker and friend who is younger than I but so very mature and grounded in her faith. She inspires me to be more compassionate, a better listener and stronger in my relationship with the Divine.

4.    Lillian Daniel is a writer, preacher, retreat leader, parent, pastor of a local congregation and all-around amazing person. I met her several times when we served together in the New Haven Association of the Connecticut Conference… but she always seems more to me (look at all her accomplishments!). She inspires me to want to be more.

5.    I adore Kilian McDonnell’s poetry. I want to write like he does (more accurately, I want to write in my style, but evoke from others what his poems evoke in my spirit). Yes, he is an inspiration, having begun writing poetry in his 70s… I have some time!


BONUS: “Let It Be Me” (Indigo Girls song): let it be me (this is not a fighting song) let it be me (not a wrong for a wrong) let it be me, if the world is night shine my life like a light

5 comments:

Terri said...

Powerful role models...

Sally said...

wonderful role models, and fantastic that your mother is amongst them :-)

angela said...

I love that members of the congregation are dear to you especially S with cancer--a profound example that I hope to remember when I need it.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Listening to Lillian Daniel (on CD) from the Festival of Homiletics. She is amazing.

Crimson Rambler said...

So blessed to have your mother on your list! Thank you!