Friday, January 6, 2012

Epiphany Friday 5... A-ha Moments!

Today is Epiphany, the day of the shining star and magus gifts and illumination and such. And so the grand folks over at RevGalBlogPals have offered this Friday 5 for our cogitation...
In the midst of the holiday season I had one of those moments where a path suddenly was made clear - A-ha! This experience has prompted me to wonder what some of your A-ha moments may be.
They can be mundane - a realization that you like/don't like a certain food or that you really look good in that color you never had the guts to try. They can be sacred - a way to better pace your day clicks into place or finally a devotion or meditation practice that really works for you. They can be profound - the moment you realized he/she was the one (or wasn't)or the moment you realized where your deepest passion could meet the world's greatest need. 
Please tell us - what are five (more or less) of your 'A-ha' moments. Where have you had a moment of clarity?
So from the mundane to the sublime, here are some of mine:

  1. Realizing that Colorado is finally "home." That happened last summer (2010) when I'd pop back here for interludes between sabbatical workshops. Stepping out the airport to see the expanse of plain to the east and Rockies to the west; breathing open air from a clear, bright sky; talking with genuinely friendly people in their toll booths--all of this and more make Colorado "home" (even without an ocean). What a nice surprise! 
  2. I considered leaving the MDiv program near the end of my first year in seminary--but a professor of Pastoral Care talked me into a period of discernment through a CPE (Clinical Pastoral Education) summer unit: she thought it could help me explore my call. My first day in St. Joseph Hospital of Orange, CA overwhelmed me with "rightness." I became a hospital chaplain and loved it. It led me to ordination and, eventually, to realize I can also enjoy parish ministry (who knew?)! Fourteen years later I can still feel that sense of "rightness" from those first few days at the hospital.
  3. Sophomore year in college, second semester, I had an epiphany late one night: "I'm attracted to a woman!" The revelation was so powerful and "true" that I told all the important people in my life (close friends, the person to whom I was attracted, parents, pastor, mentors) within 48 hours.
  4. Comfortable shoes. Yes! Never did I think about shoes until several years ago--I was (and still am) a Birkenstock sandal kinda gal. But now I've expanded to comfy shoes that are cute! Oh yes--I believe in MaryJanes.
  5. What a revelation it was to realize I'm a morning person. No wonder night classes were so abhorrent to me! And to get up early to write or exercise (oh, for that dedication again) seems holy. Mornings are a gift, and I'm thankful to have had that clarity come to me :). 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I share your belief in Mary Janes. ;-)

Sharon said...

I share your love of mornings!

(Note to self: find out what are these Mary Janes?)

Holly said...

ah Birkenstock's, Yes like old best friends. Wonderful list!

Teri said...

Ditto on MaryJanes! great play!

PrJoolie said...

Yes to both Birks and Mary Janes. Love your positive, playful tone. Thanks.

altar ego said...

I'm still in search of good footwear. I'm not a Birks girl, though perhaps MJ's will work. Thanks for sharing your moments.

kathrynzj said...

I love your list and find myself a bit jealous of it too.

So well played - thank you!