Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday Five Recommendation Edition

Oh hooray for the RevGals who posted today's F5! (thanks revkjarla)
So, it's the time of year I get inundated with requests for recommendations for students that are looking to be camp counselors.  So in honor of camp counselors everywhere, today's Friday Five is the Recommendation edition  (which has nothing to do with camp or summer or anything--work with me, it's late....)

I was just writing this recommendation in my head yesterday!
note to readers--it will be impossible for me to stick to ONE in each category... and then I'm going to everyone else's blog to see what they recommend!

1.   Recommend a favorite worship resource or devotional book. 
Before the Amen: Creative Resources for Worship by Maren & Maria Tirabassi; the Feasting on the Word commentary series (I read and recommend it for devotion as much for sermon prep); Fragments of Your Ancient Name: 365 Glimpses of the Divine for Daily Meditation by Joyce Rupp (beautiful, brief, poetic daily images--not for everyone).
2.   Recommend a blog that you like to read that you think others might find enjoyable.
Abbey of the Arts; Velveteen Rabbi; The Painted Prayerbook; Prayers4Today; and Aqui, Ahora are just a few of my regulars.
3.   Recommend a fiction book that you think people might like.
One of my all time favorites is Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. A way-out-there favorite (again, not for everyone) is The Fifth Sacred Thing by Starhawk.
4.   Recommend a favorite recipe website.   O.k., if you aren't into cooking or food, then just recommend a random website that you find useful, hilarious, mind numbing or thought provoking. 
I do not cook. But, for the realm of mind-numbing or when I need a no-questions laugh, I go to lolcats on icanhascheezburger.com. As a cat lover, I can't help but laugh at the kitty-pics.
5.  And for the last recommendation--it's bloggers' choice!  Make a recommendation for anything!
I recommend reading other people's recommendations on RevGalsBlogPals
That's where I'm going now... 
:)

5 comments:

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Love, love, love "Before the Amen". High praises for Joyce Rupp and the Painted Prayerbook as well.

Lolcats...a must

Gosh...great minds must think alike.

Jan said...

So many good recommendations that I'll have to be back to copy them all down. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Oh Sharon, I've been missing your presence, and I'll take some recent blog entries for the time being!

Thank you for your thoughts!
Heather C

website design company said...

No questions. I'm enjoying reading, though.

Website Designers in Kerala said...

nice time for reading