Friday, October 24, 2008

T.O.

I truly believe in Sabbath - but as you may know for yourself, believing in and acting on something are two different things. 

Earlier this week I realized that I haven't taken near enough vacation days in '08 to maintain my sanity. So there she goes (bye-bye Sanity) taking her own vacation, slipping quietly onto a plane bound for the land of hysteria. 

In order to call her gently back to me, I contrived to take a day off ... but what does that mean? Do I (instead of reading texts in preparation for next week's sermon) attend to the housework that has piled up? Do I dive into the 3-months' worth of Christian Century magazines that have collected wrinkles in my backpack? How does one NOT feel guilty for refusing each of our "shoulds"?

My brain understood how much I needed time away, so rather than attempting any of the above, she shut down! I drove to a lake-side overlook in the sunshine ... and fell asleep. I came home via the public library, opened a book ... and fell asleep. Sometimes it is really nice to let the body's natural functioning take over.

All of this is to say: take some time to be. Yes, I'm speaking to me. But I hope you do it too! 

1 comment:

Kendra said...

and how was Friday? Any "mindfulness: ... ?