Friday, May 22, 2009

Friday Five: Vacation, All I Ever Wanted...


(head over to RevGalBlogPals to see more of what Mary Beth wrote) 
1) What did your family do for vacations when you were a child? Or did you have stay-cations at home?
Camping. Tent camping. With a real tent. I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything. We may have hit every campsite from Delaware to New York before I was 12. And camping always featured great food over the fire: the fresh (caught by us, of course) crabs and clams in Maryland were my favorite!

2) Tell us about your favorite vacation ever:
Our honeymoon on St. Croix. It was a little, in-the-middle-of-nowhere, lesbian-owned retreat on the beach. We swam in the clearest waters I've ever seen, ate the best bread pudding of my life, and just existed for a beautiful time together. I could have done without the intense sunburn, however (even through my clothes!).

3) What do you do for a one-day or afternoon getaway...is there a place nearby that you escape to on a Saturday afternoon/other day off?
I take the hour-drive to Laramie, WY (during the week, when others are working). Why?! Because it's out of town! It's a quiet little place with a coffee shop, a vegetarian restaurant, and a used bookstore. What more could I ask for? Oh, and the drive is gorgeous.

4) What's your best recommendation for a full-on vacation near you...what would you suggest to someone coming to your area? (Near - may be defined any way you wish!)
Morning: Hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park - up to Lake Haiyaha. Pack a lunch and eat when you get there. Afternoon: Touring New Belgium Brewery (green, fun, tasty). Evening: as always, just being. It's good to be.

5) What's your DREAM VACATION?
A fully guided, leisurely tour of sacred/mystical sites in the UK (fully guided because it's too stressful trying to find my own transportation, lodging and meals - takes away from the "leisurely" part). Followed by a fully guided, leisurely tour of sacred/mystical sites in Greece. 

BONUS: Any particularly awful (edited to add: or hilarious) vacation stories that you just have to tell? ("We'll laugh about this later..." maybe that time is now!)
Ugh. I'm thinking about one that included a singularly decrepit motel room near a beach - the only one available anywhere. And no, I'm still not laughing about this... still sighing sadly.

1 comment:

Terri said...

I once reserved a room in a motel for my family and me, plus our dog...kids were, oh, about 11 and 7....when we got there the we realized that the place was attached to a local bar...the rooms had unmade beds with stained mattresses, disgusting carpeting, walls, and "curtains" - and a half consumed six pack of beer in the closet...needless to say we changed our minds and drove home instead of staying there....sigh...

otherwise, I love your memories and ideas here!