Monday, May 25, 2009

Long Weekend = Play Guitar

Not "long weekend" in the vacation sense, even though it's Memorial Day. Long in the wrote-a-sermon-while-caring-for-a-dear-one-who-is-dying-after-spending-a-week-at-my-parents' sense.

I guess that's longer than a weekend. 

But here I am on an overcast Memorial Day with the self-care gift of a new song-book for my guitar. I've been trying to teach myself to play since September, and, never having been talented in the music department, offering myself the grace to play badly but joyfully. It's taken a while for me to figure out what I can and can't teach myself and give myself over to the simple practice of practice.

In order to make the "joyfully" part more abundant, the 
book I bought is from (of course) the Indigo Girls. And the difference it makes in making my spirit sing... well, it's significant. 

So here's to a long, rainy weekend where I can sit and strum my guitar.

No comments: