Sunday, May 31, 2009

More Foxes

What is a blog if not (at least a bit) self-indulgent?

As long as I recognize that. And part of indulging myself includes sharing the extent to which I've been following the foxes in my back yard. In January I noticed the mates - and a couple days ago Jamie pointed out a single kit who seems to have taken the place of one of its parents in lounging beneath our bedroom window. 

But tonight I got to see THREE (3!) feisty, playful kits running and mock-fighting just off my patio. I've been awaiting their youthful presence ever since I noticed the male and female this winter (I'll try to catch them on "film" soon). One of them even scared the *bleep* out of me by pressing its curious face right up against the glass after it got dark.

I feel so blessed to be a part of their lives, even on the periphery. Yet, I recognize some ambivalence: I'd rather these wild creatures need not live in the suburban build-up where I reside; I wish they still had enough free space to live and hunt where there aren't cars to endanger them nor beloved house cats to tempt their hunger. They bless my days by capturing my imagination and love for all God's creatures - but they also remind me of my complicity with modern comforts to take take take more and more that can't be restored to the balance of creation. 

*Sigh* It's a theological challenge. 

No comments: