Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Minister Challenges God (On a Bad Day)

I wrote this as I prepare for Jamie's ordination this coming Sunday. One of the texts she has chosen is Mark  10:35-45 -- when Jesus states, "if you will be great, you must be servant of all." 
A Minister Challenges God 
(On a Bad Day)

You have dragged me to this hell
called your Church.
What a joke!
The servants abuse and misuse.
Their humility is suspect (I should know).
Ego rules rather than
your words - The Word! - and "if you will be great
you must be servant of all."
Indeed!
Servant to this pigtailed little girl
with cookie crumbs on her chin
and Sunday School glitter littering the carpet?
Servant to the incomprehensible schizophrenic
jabbering conspiracy this close
to my nose?
Servant to the adolescent
eyerolling and impudent
sniggering behind my robed back?
Not me!
I have been called.
I have been set apart.

3 comments:

eshams said...

Wow! I'd love to hear the sermon for which that poem is part of the process. Thanks, Rev. Pink Dragon! Wish we could be with you Sunday. Love you both!

Rev. Pink Dragon said...

Oh yes! Happily, the poem doesn't really bear on the sermon itself :). I just play with the text a lot as I get ready to preach. Although, Jamie did ask if I could work it in, somehow, and let folks know that it kinda represents her fears some days.

Wish you could be here, too - miss you!

revhipchick said...

i love your poem! it is wonderful! thank you for sharing!