Thursday, April 15, 2010

Peter and the Risen Christ

FORGIVENESS
John 21:1-19

I
Does he not desire
forgiveness?
Does he not believe in
forgiveness?
Not for himself.
He has returned to the sea –
the familiar,
unpredictable waves and
fickle fish.
“I am not a
fisher of the human soul!
I cannot even keep my own intact.”
He mourns.

And he tries to
forget
his failures.
So many
failures.

From the bright
future
of the call, “Come;
follow me”
to the assurance, “You are  Petros – the rock!”
he actually thought he could be more than a
fisherman
with empty nets.

Yet here to Galilee
he has returned…
and his nets are,
once again,
empty.

II
Flying through the waves
onto the beach,
he begs no
forgiveness at all – do you notice? –
he makes no excuses for himself, though he knows he has
failed.

Yet he
breakfasts with the Risen One.
Fish that never touched his net steam over a
beachfire.
And Jesus speaks of love. Simple, right?
Never once does he mention
denial. So Peter (still in denial?),
earnest and
uncomprehending,
affirms
his love.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

WOW. amazing. you are such a poet, Sharon!

Rev. Pink Dragon said...

I wish I could just preach that on Sunday... it doesn't "say" as much to people, but more individually interpretive. Still working on the "here's your message" sermon :).