Thursday, July 10, 2008

On Wrestling a Sermon

Oh what a painful few weeks. The Genesis texts are delightful (okay, so that's the wrong word for these murderous, deceitful, spiteful stories) in Pentecost Lectionary Year A - and yet they are frustrating all my hopes right now. 

Take Sunday's sermon for example. I'm trying to go with my love for these stories and the people who passed them down. But they make it really hard! Or I make it hard. This week we have Esau (who I've always had a secret crush on) and Jacob. Three weeks ago I tried to meet Isaac/Sarah and Ishmael/Hagar where they were, but I couldn't make the appointment. 

So this week I'm conflating the stories - if they weren't already, and later became their own (note the two strong & outdoorsy types, and the two "stay-in-the-tenter" types who seem to get all the accolades) - asking my congregation "Why can't we all just get along?" with the sibling rivalry stuff. So, in the way of a blog, here are my rambling preparations...

REBEKAH
Why me?
Warring in her womb
Esau - the elder
Jacob - so close
Rebekah finds no relief
not in pregnancy
not in labor
not in birth
not in growth
Is she dead when Jacob
finally returns
conciliatory gifts sent ahead
wives in tow?

ISAAC
Isaac -- poor 
beer-bellied schmuck!
Chosen one of Abraham's
line. Why are you so
blind?

YHWH
Is God in this story?
Is God still speaking?
My question is:
Is God there?
Does God have to 
be there for us to 
hear a word for us?
Can't God be here without
us having to put God there?

That's all :).

5 comments:

Kendra said...

Love the pink!

We must have different lectionaries.... i'm preaching on the parable of the Sower.

i'm just now carving out some time to think about it.

I know I must be procrastinating though because I've been reading everyone's blogs, I took out the recycling, and I cleaned the microwave tray. Um..yeah, avoidance much? I hope we can hang out before Sunday....??? (is that a lost cause?)

Rev. Pink Dragon said...

Oy - maybe. Perhaps Saturday sometime? I'm really struggling with this sermon. HARD! Same lectionary - I'm doing HB rather than NT. But I commented on your blog about what I'd been tossing around with the "sower" text.

Procrastination.... Like creating a blog about what I'm going to prepare for Sunday rather than preparing for Sunday? haha! :0

I also bought a brand new drawing pad for my sharpies. Now I'm going to color instead of preparing for a sermon!

See you Sat?

Kendra said...

HAHA! We can be a support group for procrastinators! How about we ditch the sermons and color with sharpies? Just kidding (sort-of) YES...Saturday works!

Rev. Pink Dragon said...

We are now the sharpies support system.
I think I'll start with pink :)

jamie said...

didn't know you liked first-born red-heads.