Monday, July 21, 2008

Unending Wrestling

It seems to be a theme right now (like pink!).

Wrestling.

The sermon thing. The 2 brothers thing. The insomnia (w)restlessness thing. And once again, Jacob. 

Yes, Jacob/Israel has found his way into the weekly lectionary again. Although I'm going a little off (I'm using the text a week early, so I can play with the feeding of 5000 - not counting women and children, of course! - the following week). 

I don't think I ever learned that the name Israel - while meaning "wrestles with God" - can also mean "God wrestles". My thoughts are brewing endless possibilities about the fact that God wrestles too. We're not acting solo (I knew this, but have I ever known it in this way?). 

God wrestles. We progressive Christians seem to think that we're the only ones struggling against, arguing with, talking back to God. Maybe God is doing the same. The United Church of Christ (UCC) says, "God is still speaking,". 

I wonder: can I face the challenge if I, even for a moment, think that God is stepping into the ring with me?

No comments: