Friday, November 14, 2008

Creativity - Thanks Mom!


It seems so sad that we relegate thankfulness to one day - or if we're dedicated, perhaps one month - of the year. While we may experience gratitude often, we don't tend to make it a priority of spiritual practice. Here is my attempt to extend my remembrance of gratitude for more than a day.
~~~

I'm thankful for my mother's unending creativity and the ways she has continually blessed me through it. 

As a child, I remember watching her sew (our family still has photographs of the multitudes of dresses and Halloween costumes she made me as I grew). As an adult, I marvel at her ability to create ministerial stoles and chancel paraments from visions in her head and costumes for both modern and historical plays.

Our house always held the scent of something cooking, baking or being canned. I remember that, if she didn't have the ingredients, she'd "make do" with what she found (I'm especially grateful for that, as I often search the fridge for dinner and just throw things together - Jamie, on the other hand, is NOT thankful for this). 

My mom was superior at coming up with games and entertainment for my brothers and I. With blankets hanging in the doorway to keep the warm air in our living room, sleeping bags to spend the night and an open-lidded popcorn maker in the middle of the floor, she made a cold winter evening into a night of playful rule-breaking (popcorn popping into the air and onto the floor?!!). And our annual snowasaurus-making was ooh-ed and ahh-ed by the other kids on the bus. Remember the "Little Blue Brontosaurus" story? We woke up the morning after our first endeavor and, yup, found he really was BLUE (mom and her food coloring).

So for all of this and so much more, thank you, Mom!

No comments: