Friday, November 14, 2008

Solid - Thanks Dad!

Of course I'm going to express gratitude to my father as well. And the gift that I most strongly relate with him is that he's always been solid.

I can't think of a time my dad wasn't there. Even when he worked 3 jobs in order to keep us all fed and warm, I still remember his ever solid presence.

He was present when I said my goodnight prayers, kneeling at the coffee table that held his pipe (I loved sniffing that pipe); he was present when I was having "hissy fits" over my math homework in 6th grade (God bless his patience!); and he was present for all my major life transitions, including our big ol' lesbian church wedding.

Many years ago, his and Mom's friends named him "St. John the Meek" because of his quiet manner ... but there was always the solidity underlying his calm. There are times I wish I could have inherited more of his solidity, and perhaps I can strive to grow more into it; but for now I'll just celebrate that he has always shared his with each of us. 

No comments: