Friday, November 7, 2008

FRIDAY FIVE: FUNNY PAPERS

Presbyterian Gal over at RevGalBlogPals posted this week's Friday Five... and it feels gooood (*week-end sigh of relief*). She says:

After an exhausting election here in the states it's time for some spirit lifting! Join me with a nice cup of tea or a coffee or cocoa and let's sit back and read the Funny Papers!

1. What was your favorite comic strip as a child?
As a kid I was always getting yelled at by people waiting because I read EVERY comic in the funny pages except Prince Valiant and Dennis the Menace. I remember the Sunday comics included 2 insert pages, too (not just the front and back we get now). Who can choose?!

2. Which comic strip today most consistently tickles your funny bone?
Rose is Rose by Pat Brady. It's laughs are uplifting and playful and loving and always life-affirming. And Rose's alter-ego kicks my butt with laughter.

3. Which Peanuts character is closest to being you?
Lucy - but I would never pull the football away!

4. Some say that comic strips have replaced philosophy as a paying job, so to speak. Does this ring true with you?
I'd have to think longer on this. Some strips definitely make you think about the world, social ills, politics, etc, but others are just fun for silliness' sake.

5. What do you think the appeal is for the really long running comic strips like Blondie, Family Circus, Dennis the Menace as some examples?
No clue - I'm going to read other's answers though!

BONUS QUESTION: Which discontinued comic strip would you like to see back in print?  I really enjoy the Far Side. All the episodes in hell make me laugh.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Who knew hell could be such a laugh riot! I miss Far Side too.

Thanks for playing.