Saturday, October 10, 2009

Study Leave/Reading Week

One of the true gifts of being a pastor is being able to take time to renew yourself & revitalize your ministry. Of course, your church also has to recognize the power of such sabbath time for the work you share. Happily, mine does; starting Monday, I get to renew & revitalize.

Since I have not yet finished Margaret Marcuson's Leaders Who Last: Sustaining Yourself and Your Ministry, I will begin this reading week by immersing myself in its wisdom*. Marcuson (quotes Gerald May who) refers to 16th century mystic John of the Cross' statement:
"God does not fit in an occupied heart".
Throughout this week I hope to hold an open heart, listening to where Spirit leads and daring to follow that voice. I hope to empty my heart of old and no-longer necessary "truths", so I may hold space for what the Divine has been waiting to put in their place. I hope to hang the "vacancy" sign, bright and flashing.

I also hope to check in with a couple other valuable resources - all in the arenas of leadership in congregations, renewal or self-care, and the spiritual practice of art/writing. Some of the possibilities are:
  • Resonant Leadership by Richard Boyatzis and Annie McKee
  • Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art by Madeleine L'Engle
  • The Art of Faith by Cathy Coffey
  • Prayer and Our Bodies by Flora Slosson Wuellner
  • The Equipping Church by Sue Mallory
  • Hear and Be Wise: Becoming a Preacher and Teacher of Wisdom by Alyce M. McKenzie
We shall see what comes...

*If you've been following for a while, you'll remember I've been trying to hold myself accountable to reading 3 different books on leading well. I've finished the first one, don't overly appreciate much of the theology in the second one, and the third one is this one by Marcuson.

No comments: