Friday, October 16, 2009

Study Week part II

It's only Friday, and I've actually succeeded in reading some of what I set out to soak in this week (totally unexpected from one who reads so very slowly...at least re: non-fiction). I even remained open to the Spirit to lead me a little off track with one of my selections. Here is what I've accomplished so far:

Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope, and Compassion and Leaders Who Last: Sustaining Yourself and Your Ministry are both excellent reads in multiple arenas. First, of course, leadership skills; followed very closely by renewal and sustenance; and guiding others in leadership ability. I find them particularly relevant to church leadership, but their insights, probing questions and exercises can be applied to any number of fields (Resonant Leadership is actually directed toward businesses, but the principles stand for any entity desiring to be grounded in a holistic approach to their goals).
Conversation as Ministry: Stories and Strategies for Confident Caregiving was not on my initial list of intended reading. However, its focus on developing skills that enable members of the faith community to hold "pastoral conversations" will benefit our lay caring visitors. The numerous stories and succinct summaries will be great resources for me in continued training of members for this ministry.
I am about halfway through Prayer and Our Bodies. While seemingly quite distinct from the other texts I've chosen, the readings in this book have coincided unexpectedly with each of the others. Corresponding quotes from G.K. Chesterton and Mechtild of Magdeburg are the least of the similarities. The greatest synchronicity is the reminder in each that we must be mindful, aware and check in with our bodies (as well as our spirits, emotions and minds) in order to be whole, spiritual, human beings.

I'll try to update if I finish The Art of Faith or Walking on Water, both of which I've also begun...

No comments: